Friday, June 28 - Earlier this month, the ballots were released for the contenders for the upcoming 2013 Emmy Awards. With nominations being announced on the morning of July 18, I'm going through all of the major categories and analyzing which performers are most likely to make the nomination list.
Nominees for the 2012 Emmy Awards
Frances Conroy, American Horror Story
Judy Davis, Page Eight
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Sarah Paulson, Game Change
Mare Winningham, Hatfields & McCoys
Sarah Paulson is a lock to return to this category again - except now for American Horror Story: Asylum. Her AHS co-star Lily Rabe also feels like a lock here. Frances Conroy is also eligible to return but her chances are slimmer because her role was very small. So, the final three spots will be a battle between the big names: Holly Hunter, Ellen Burstyn, Alfre Woodard and Phylicia Rashad. Roma Downey also has a chance to sneak in especially if the voters want to honor The Bible in some way. With all that said, here is how I think the chips will fall this year.
NOTE: These rankings are how likely I think people are to be nominated NOT who is likely to win in September.
* = My Top 5 performers - the ones I would vote for if I had a ballot.
LIKELY TO BE NOMINATED
1. SARAH PAULSON, AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM *
2. LILY RABE, AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM *
3. HOLLY HUNTER, TOP OF THE LAKE *
4. ELLEN BURSTYN, POLITICAL ANIMALS *
5. ALFRE WOODARD, STEEL MAGNOLIAS
MAJOR UPSET CONTENDERS
6. PHYLICIA RASHAD, STEEL MAGNOLIAS
7. FRANCES CONROY, AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM *
8. ROMA DOWNEY, THE BIBLE
9. CARLA GUGINO, POLITICAL ANIMALS
10. JANET MCTEER, PARADE'S END
11. OONA CHAPLIN, THE HOUR
ADELAIDE CLEMES and MIRANDA RICHARDSON, PARADE'S END
MICHELLE DOCKERY and CHARLOTTE RAMPLING, RESTLESS
JILL SCOTT, STEEL MAGNOLIAS
GABOUREY SIDIBE, THE BIG C: HEREAFTER
Previous Emmy Previews:
Supporting Miniseries Actor
Supporting Comedy Actress
Supporting Comedy Actor
Supporting Drama Actress
Supporting Drama Actor